I'm not exactly sure why (a loading accident?) but both corners were
severely damaged. So, I decided to repair these two corners as follows:
First I made a nice cut through the particle board. Then, I cut a similar
triangular piece (slightly oversized) that would fit in this place.
I used 1/4" dowels as biscuits to give additional support, and I glued
it in place.
Here's what it looked like while the glue was drying. I then went back
and used a power sander to shape it. You can see in this picture
that I've already sanded off the side art. Finally, I finished up by
using a hand saw to cut the groove for the T molding. A little bit
tricky to do, but it turned out fine.
While I was at it, I sanded down the side art. I wanted to give the
new side art a nice smooth surface to bond to. Here you can see the
heavy damage to the left side.
Looks a bit funny without the side art! Both corners are completed
at this point.
Another common problem that I had to contend with was the bolt
holes left over from a security bar. I first plugged the holes
with a small piece of dowel. I then sanded it down, and painted
the entire front of the cabinet.
I also took the complete coin mechanism apart and washed it thoroughly.
I painted the front coin doors. If you do this, make sure you use
paint specifically for metal. I found that they kind that is designed
to hide blemishes works the best.